Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Tolkien & Lewis on the Blessed Virgin Mary

 From The Imaginative Conservative:

I discovered an old letter last week, hidden between the pages of an old book, the content of which has been haunting me ever since. It was addressed to me at an old address in Florida and I seem to have tucked it away for safekeeping. What I read astounded me as it contains revelations about J.R.R. Tolkien which I don’t believe have ever been published. It was a photocopy of a letter written by George Sayer, a good friend of both Lewis and Tolkien, and was addressed to Dame Felicitas Corrigan, a Benedictine nun who was a friend of George Bernard Shaw, Siegfried Sassoon, Alec Guinness and Rumer Godden. It had been sent to me from England by my late friend Stratford Caldecott who had appended to it a brief handwritten question: “Shall I write about the discovery of this letter for StAR?” Stratford Caldecott, who should be no stranger to readers of The Imaginative Conservative, was a great Catholic writer who died in 2014 at the tragically young age of sixty. The “StAR”, to which he referred, is the St. Austin Review, the Catholic cultural journal that I’ve edited since 2001. His note was dated November 22, 2006. I’ve checked the content of the St. Austin Review in the months after this date and can find no trace that Stratford ever did write on this.

As for George Sayer, with whom I had corresponded when doing research for my book, Literary Converts, he wrote an excellent biography of C. S. Lewis, which was full of his own personal memories of his friendship with him. He recalls a hike in the west of England in the company of Lewis, Tolkien and Warnie Lewis, Lewis’ older brother. The Lewis brothers were believers in walking briskly in order to get physical exercise, which made them frustrated by Tolkien’s frequent halts to admire the beauty of a flower or a tree. Exasperated by these incessant interruptions to their forward march, they asked Sayer to walk with the dawdling Tolkien so that they could stride on at the pace they desired, arranging to meet the stragglers at the pub. (Read more.)

Share

No comments: