Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Beautiful Confirmation Day

I went to a Confirmation Mass this morning and had the honor of being a sponsor. The mass was held at the lovely Church of Corpus Christi in Chambersburg, PA, with His Excellency Bishop Timlin, the Bishop Emeritus of Scranton presiding. The lay catechists who rehearsed us were very insistent upon reverence in the house of God and the “Vatican dress code.” I was impressed since I had never before heard such firmness from anyone but nuns. The youngsters were confirmed kneeling before the bishop, which I had not seen since my own confirmation 30+ years ago. Bishop Timlin gave a powerful homily, delightful for subtle humor but edifying in his direct catechesis on the Sacrament of Confirmation. To see the youthful faces glowing with the joy of the sacred moment lifted my heart to God. In spite of everything, the Church goes on….. Share

No comments: