Sunday, April 2, 2023

The Oldest Restaurant in Europe


I was able to enjoy a lunch of Hungarian goulash there in 1995. From Insider:

I knew from my first visit that St. Peter Stiftskulinarium isn't visible from the street. Its entrance is located in a tucked-away courtyard inside St. Peter's Abbey. As I neared the restaurant's location, I saw a beautiful church with a stunning bell tower, which is St. Peter's Church. St. Peter's Abbey, which houses the restaurant, is an extension of St. Peter's Church. The archway leads into a beautiful courtyard surrounded by an enormous pink and cream-colored fortress on all four sides. This building is St. Peter's Abbey and Monastery, and the restaurant is located inside.

The abbey and monastery were built into the Mönchsberg mountain during the 7th century. I didn't know this the first time I walked into the courtyard, so I was surprised to see what looked like rocky cliffs directly above it. Across the courtyard, I saw a turquoise plaque with the number 803, the year the restaurant was established. The walk across the courtyard to the restaurant felt suspenseful. It was hard to believe that I was entering a building that originated in the year 803. When I walked through the archway under the turquoise plaque, I was greeted by a friendly host who walked me to my table. (Read more.)


Share

No comments: