Friday, April 14, 2023

Helping Former Nuns Transition Back into the World

There is more being written about the difficulties of young Catholic women transitioning back into the world after a failed attempt at religious life. In the late 80's, I had flung myself with gusto into all the rigors of a monastic community, to be told in the end that I had no vocation to be a cloistered nun. Apparently I had “gifts” which were meant to be used in the world. ( I wrote more about that HERE.) St Teresa of Avila had said to her nuns, “You have come to Carmel to die for Christ.” I had willingly embraced the material austerities, but the “death” of having to give up my vocation seemed too much to bear. The disorientation of being suddenly catapulted from the silence of the cloister, where the sixteenth century constitutions of St Teresa of Avila were observed, into the noise, the fashions, the situations of the waning twentieth century, was almost paralyzing. Stumbling around in the home town where I had become a stranger, I often found myself saying to God, “Why?" I was ultimately helped by spending a summer in Lourdes, but not everyone can do that. It is most important not to become bitter. From Catholic Exchange:

I can personally attest to the loneliness and overwhelming grief that can follow leaving the convent. When I left for the second time several years ago, I felt lost and broken. The pain I experienced was all-consuming, and I feared I would never recover. It wasn’t until I connected with other women who had similar experiences through online support groups that I began to heal. O Mi Jesu is one such group, and it is a chapter of the Maria Goretti Network that provides peer support specifically for former religious sisters. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: