Friday, June 10, 2022

Ella Logan: Angel of the Stage

From Church Militant:

One night in Naples, the theater was packed. Many of the men attending had just returned from the front line. They were so fresh from battle that they were on edge, dirty and, in some cases, even bloody.

After Ella made her usual little speech at the end of her act, a tall GI with a Gary Cooper–like persona walked up to her on the stage. Pointing at the microphone, he asked, "Can I talk into that thing?" The soldier still had his helmet on and looked exhausted.

Ella was apprehensive because a man in that GI's condition might say or do anything. Looking up at him, she stood beside him at the microphone. He put his hand on her shoulder and began to speak to her before the absolutely silent 5,000 men present in the auditorium.

"Miss Logan," he said into the microphone, "you don't remind me of my wife or sister. You don't even remind me of my mother. Do you know what you remind me of?" Ella trembled as she waited for the soldier to answer his own question. He said, "You remind me of an angel."

He bent over and kissed Ella on the forehead. Then the lanky soldier walked down the steps, up the aisle and into the darkness. While he walked away, no one in the crowd broke the silence. Ella ran into her dressing room and cried tears of joy. (Read more.)

Share

No comments: