Thursday, August 10, 2023

The Lie of the Apostolate

 Some of us mothers have had to leave our families to work in order to make ends meet due to ill, injured or improvident spouses. My writing was an attempt to stay home with my child and may God forgive those who went out of their way to sabotage it. From Melody Lyons at The Wild Return:

My family is my apostolate. My home is my headquarters. My husband is my fundraiser. If God calls me to do some further outreach, it will only be that which does not leave my family unloved, uncared for, or with only the leftovers of who I am. 

My apostolic works have often been excuses—distractions— and a means to feeling like a productive Christian while avoiding the harder work. A way of breaking up the boredom of sacrificial work done without devotion. 

I would have been a better woman, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, and homeschooler over the last 27 years if I hadn't bought into the idea that I needed to become some kind of minister to the whole world. Some moms have the gift of being high energy. I am not one of them. And I have exhausted myself in so many different directions, convinced that my outreaches and apostolic works were the moral equivalent of what I was doing at home. I was wrong. 

I once printed out the words of Pope St. John Paul II when speaking about the poor of the world, to recall them during my daily work. He said:

"You must never be content to leave them just the crumbs of the feast. You must take of your substance, and not just of your abundance, in order to help them. And you must treat them like guests at your family table."

I fancied myself a real winner because I thought I understood his message. Give to those less fortunate and give until it hurts! I knew what it meant to be on the receiving end of Christ-like sacrificial love and I knew the power of the mercy of Jesus and I wanted to be that for others.  My problem was that I didn't see the hypocrisy of leaving the crumbs for my own children while I fed strangers. (Read more.)

Share

No comments: