Saturday, August 5, 2023

Spiritual Abuse by Your Church - Survivor Wisdom Series

 This is a difficult topic that people of Faith are just beginning to recognize, although spiritual abuse has long driven troubled people away from God and the Church. The lady who writes is from a Protestant congregation, so it is not just a Catholic problem. From Confusion to Clarity:

I told them he had a drinking problem. I was told that unless my husband admitted to a sin they could not rebuke him. They would believe what he said as a way of showing him respect even though he got his second DUI while we were in active counseling. He then admitted he had a drinking problem and they loved on him instead of rebuking him because he confessed.

For a while the pastor’s wife was very supportive and it seemed like her husband was on board with her, but when my husband and I got together with both of them I could tell he didn’t understand what was going on. He said we need to both listen to each other. So I decided I wasn’t going to keep talking to her. My husband wrapped the pastor around his finger and is now his best friend in the church.

The pastor said, "Well at least he hasn't had a stroke and you have to take care of him." He did refer us to a psychologist.

My preacher told me, regarding my husband's physical abuse of my son, that "sometimes we need something like that to set us straight." And regarding my husband's emotional and psychological abuse of me, he said, "There are a lot of people in this church that are dealing with way worse things and they're still married." He also told me that the less he knew, the better. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: