Monday, April 30, 2007

The Departed (2006)

Last night we finally got to watch Martin Scorsese's The Departed (2006). Here is a review from Godspy by Catholic writer Matthew Lickona. I must say that we almost turned it off because of the filthy language and overwhelming cruelty and violence. I cannot focus too intently on such films; I watched it while blogging and cleaning the kitchen, letting my husband filled me in on the action. With powerful acting and an incredibly suspenseful plot, The Departed, by showing the spiraling depths of evil, emphasized the courage and determination of the few heroic characters. However, the constant use of the "F" word became ridiculous after awhile. The ending was like a Shakespeare tragedy, and as one deeply-flawed but brave character was laid to rest, all I could think of was "here is the noblest Roman of them all." Share

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only Martin Scorcese films I have seen are "The Age Of Innocence", and "Raging Bull", and although I am a film buff and try to see important films I feel I have not missed anything by not seeing his more brutal offerings.