From Sharyl's Substack:
A study was published entitled: “Closed but Not Protected: Excess Deaths Among the Amish and Mennonites During the COVID-19 Pandemic.” It appeared in the Journal of Religion and Health on June 11, 2021.
But I noticed serious flaws with the study and decided to challenge it. Among the problems I saw:
For their study population, the researchers grouped together a sample of Mennonite and Amish— even though Mennonites typically followed CDC guidelines while the Amish did not.
They excluded the largest Amish population in the US in Lancaster, the one that was actually the subject of the news reports.
And their study headline was at odds with what their own data showed: even with their skewed sample, the Amish fared no worse than the rest of the US for not having shut down.
After examining the study, I tried to get further information to determine if corrections were warranted. Among other things, I wanted to know:
Who were the peer reviewers who had signed off on a deeply flawed study?
What did the actually study notes and data show about why the most obvious study sample population was excluded?
What were some of the internal communications before and after publication?
With scientific studies, all the data is supposed to be available for public review and replication for obvious reasons. Studies aren’t considered scientifically valid without this kind of transparency. And. in many cases, we actually own the data because our tax money paid for the study—or some of it— or pays the salaries of some of the people involved.
But in this case, as with other with other times I’ve pursued study information, the scientific establishment found a way to exempt itself from the common sense oversight guidelines. (Read more.)


No comments:
Post a Comment