Friday, June 11, 2010

La Reine Margot and the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre

A first hand account from a notorious lady, who nevertheless saved the life of her husband Henri de Navarre, the future Henri IV.
Five or six days afterwards, those who were engaged in this plot, considering that it was incomplete whilst the King my husband and the Prince de Conde remained alive, as their design was not only to dispose of the Huguenots, but of the Princes of the blood likewise; and knowing that no attempt could be made on my husband whilst I continued to be his wife, devised a scheme which they suggested to the Queen my mother for divorcing me from him. Accordingly, one holiday, when I waited upon her to chapel, she charged me to declare to her, upon my oath, whether I believed my husband to be like other men. "Because," said she, "if he is not, I can easily procure you a divorce from him." I begged her to believe that I was not sufficiently competent to answer such a question, and could only reply, as the Roman lady did to her husband, when he chid her for not informing him of his stinking breath, that, never having approached any other man near enough to know a difference, she thought all men had been alike in that respect. "But," said I, "Madame, since you have put the question to me, I can only declare I am content to remain as I am;" and this I said because I suspected the design of separating me from my husband was in order to work some mischief against him....

Marguerite de Valois
Share

5 comments:

Leah Marie Brown said...

What an interesting first hand account. And her portrait. Yikes! It gives me nightmares. She is one severe looking woman - and not simply because of the lead painted face and scraped back hair. Look at those eyes!

(Side note - I added a little something about Napoleon today on my blog - I know how much you love him ;)

elena maria vidal said...

She looks like her mother. Although poor Marguerite was as horrified and shocked as anyone else by the massacre.

Thanks, Leah, I'll check it out! ;-)

Brantigny said...

thanks for the link Elena-Maria. I have read in a very old book a long time ago that Margot refused to change her dress even when it came out of style.

I picture her at the end of her life as Miss Haversham in Great Expectaions. A Queen yet not a Queen, a wife yet not a wife. Clinging to her past glory.

Sad.

elena maria vidal said...

Perfect description. I think she was traumatized early in life by her highly dysfunctional family.

Brantigny said...

Oh yess...