Monday, July 27, 2026

The Six Loves of James I

 

 

In the last few decades some really amazing authors have begun writing about the Stuart dynasty. The abundance of Tudor biographies and novels have led to an interest in the family which succeeded them on the throne of England. While the Tudors were wily politicians, they were continually challenged when it came to male heirs. Because Margaret, the oldest daughter of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, married James IV of Scotland, her Stuart descendants became the heirs of the Three Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland and of the principality of Wales. James VI of Scotland, son of the murdered Mary Stuart, was de facto heir of the last Tudor, Elizabeth I. He became James I of England. Gareth Russell's fascinating biography of this brilliant and complicated man is a must-read for anyone venturing into the upheavals and achievements of the seventeenth century. Mr. Russell is known for his painstaking research of primary sources as well as for his witty and entertaining prose. This must be at least the tenth work among his several books and plays that I have read.

James I was a series of contradictions. A peaceful man, he was haunted by violence from the womb, when a Scottish lord held a pistol to his mother's pregnant stomach during a palace coup. He survived the violent deaths of both his parents as well as attempts upon his own life, in addition to kidnappings. Yet what damaged him most was the harsh, unloving and even brutal treatment he received as a motherless child from those entrusted with his upbringing. When he finally had a his own wife and family, he loved his Anna, and saw to the thorough education of his children. He was nevertheless constantly becoming infatuated with a series of handsome young men. 

A scholar of Hebrew and Greek, James presided over the translation of the Bible into the English, known as the "King James version." Famous for writing works of theology, he was also notorious for rowdy and boisterous banquets at which he became drunk, while making and laughing at coarse oaths. A persecutor of Catholics, he also insisted on the Anglican liturgy being uniform and dignified, with vestments and candles, which the Calvinists saw as papist. A prosecutor of witches, as a matter of conscience, he would then scandalize the court by showing public affection for his boyfriend of the moment. It was James I's elevation of his favorite, George Villiers, as Duke of Buckingham, while treating him practically as a member of the Royal Family, that prepared the way for Buckingham to be a fixture at the court of James' son, Charles I. Unfortunately, the role Buckingham played in the government of Charles, particularly as perceived by the people, weakened the royal authority.

From Folger Shakespeare Library:

“Elizabeth was king, now James is queen.” So went the joke circulating around London in the 17th century. While Elizabeth I became an icon for transgressing traditional gender roles, her successor is all too often overlooked or even mocked for the same reasons. Yet James I was a multifaceted ruler who led a fascinating life—and his personal relationships only add to that complexity.

For generations, historians avoided labeling the intimate relationships between James and his “favorites” as romantic. But after combing through James’s personal correspondence, historian and author Gareth Russell has uncovered compelling evidence of five significant love affairs with men. His award-winning book, The Six Loves of James I, reveals how these relationships—and his marriage to Queen Anna of Denmark*—guided the course of his life and reign.

James I’s story is a turbulent one, filled with assassination attempts, kidnapping, and witch hunts. It’s also a story of a man who loved “indiscreetly and obstinately,” for better or for worse. In this episode, Gareth Russell explores the untold history of a complicated king through the lens of the great loves of his life. (Read more.)

 

The Six Loves is available HERE.

Share

No comments: