Saturday, September 19, 2026

How to Create a French Cheese Board

From Léonce:

This is usually how I compose a board. I begin with the cheese I most want to eat, or one I am curious to discover, then choose the others in relation to it. For a full board, I like five cheeses. It is enough to create variety without making the meal feel exhaustive. One can be familiar, another unexpected; one soft, another firm; one gentle and another with more character.

You might look for something creamy, something aged, something fresh or tangy, something aromatic and a blue. But this is only a starting point. A board of mountain cheeses may contain several firm cow’s milk cheeses, while a Loire selection may be almost entirely devoted to goat’s cheese. What matters is that the cheeses feel different enough to make tasting them together interesting.

I try not to choose several with almost the same texture and intensity simply because I like each one individually. They should have something to say to one another. (Read more.)


Share

No comments: