Monday, June 4, 2007

Alessandra di Rudini (1876-1931)

The Marchesa Alessandra di Rudini, known in Carmel as Mother Marie of Jesus, came of an old Neapolitan family. Her privileged childhood was marred by her mother's ill-health and her father's womanizing. Perhaps it was the problems between her parents that led her to question her faith, a crisis which was reinforced by an atheistic teacher when she was thirteen. As Alessandra di Rudini became a young lady she moved in the highest circles of European society. A Russian Grand Duke wanted to marry her but Alessandra would not renounce her Catholic faith as would have been required, showing that her convictions may have been deeper than her doubts. Here is an account of the spiritual odyssey of how she went from a worldly and scandalous life to one of penitence and sanctity in Carmel. Share

6 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

I read the story, it is edifying and a source of great encouragement to sinners.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you, Elena Maria! Isn't she wonderful! I read her life years ago . . . or did we read it in the refectory? In any case, it made a lasting impression.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Elena:)

I like to read about the Carmelites:). The latest books I have completed were about Teresa of the Andes an exceptional soul. Yet few knew of her here. God bless Ginny for her wonderful gift of books on her life.I added the LINK to my favourites.

Blessings to you Elena

Marieeeee

elena maria vidal said...

Yes, Terry, I find her life encouraging.

Thank you, Don Marco, for the inspiration. I wish I could have found a better picture.

Marie, I always loved "Teresita;" she lived at the same time as Alessandra. What two very different saints but they both found peace in Carmel.

Anonymous said...

Which Russian grand duke proposed to her? (I couldn't find the name in the article) It's my understanding that conversion to Orthodoxy was required if the bride was marrying the Tsarevich. Tsarsita Alexandra's older Elizabeth married a Grand Duke but wasn't required to convert although she did so voluntarily.

elena maria vidal said...

No, he is not mentioned in the biography. I read about it years ago in a biography of Alessandra. To marry into the Russian Imperial family she would have had to convert to Orthodoxy which she would not do.I do not remember exactly which Grand Duke (there were so many). It was one of Alexander III's nephews.