Monday, March 18, 2019

“Why Are You Still Catholic?”

From Catholic Exchange:
When I say that I love God, I mean that love is messy.  Love is messy because it is tested in conflict.  Everyone can feel love in the best of situations.  How about the worst?  That’s why Christ is so emphatic in the parables about having a good foundation. We need a solid and rich foundation upon which that love can not only rest but be nurtured and grow.  Therefore, when the storms hit, we aren’t swept away.

We should also remember that love is messy in that we stick with those who we love, even when nothing makes sense. Even when we might be angry with them. Find me someone who has not expressed outrage towards God because of this crisis, and I will show you someone who isn’t being real about their love. Find me someone who thinks all of this makes sense, and I will show you a stoic, not a Christian. Love doesn’t say we have all the answers. Love doesn’t even say we’re happy at that moment. Love says we give somebody a chance.  If God is who He is, and I love God, I’m going to give him a chance. I might be surprised.

When I say God has given me something, I mean it in a different sense than “he gives us the Eucharist.”  Even before He gives us the Eucharist, He gives us something greater. Through our baptism, God makes us a co-heir.  The Apostles Paul tells us:
It is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.  (Romans 8:17-18)
(Read more.)
Share

No comments: