Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Cultural Sensitivity

From Matt Walsh:
USA Today columnist Kirsten Powers stated the liberal position with appropriate levels of self-righteousness: "Dear white people who are upset that you can't dress up as another race or culture for Halloween: your feelings don't matter. The only feelings that matter are of those who feel disrespected/mocked by you appropriating their culture for entertainment. Show some common decency."

No intelligent statement has ever begun with "Dear white people," and this was no exception. She says that only the feelings of the Offended Party matter. If a person feels that their culture is being "appropriated," then it is. This seems to be the consensus view among liberals. In an editorial published by the Cincinnati Enquirer, a white woman confessed to dressing her daughter as Pocahontas a few years ago. She says that she didn't intend to be racist, but she was racist. This is all quite mad for many reasons, but I'd like to highlight just one:

St. Patrick's Day.

My ancestors are Irish. On St. Patrick's Day, a whole lot of non-Irish people dress like Leprechauns and chug beer. If I were to adopt the language of the Left, I might say that my Irish heritage is appropriated, mocked, and reduced to crude stereotypes. But I will not say that. And I don't think that any of the real Irish people in Ireland say that, either. I think they just laugh at us and roll their eyes. As for me, I go to a bar and join the festivities. (Read more.)
Share

1 comment:

julygirl said...

Based on that mentality, school children for a hundred years have been taught racism by dressing up as Indians when they commemorate the first Thanksgiving....but it is acceptable for men to put on exaggerated make-up and prance around pretending they are women. Seems these left wing liberals make up their own values and those are the values the rest of us are expected to live by without question.