Thursday, October 19, 2023

Death of Marie-Thérèse de France

The daughter of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette died just three days after the anniversary of her mother's execution. Here is a quote from her Will: 

Following the example of my parents, I forgive, with all my soul, and without exceptions, all those who may have harmed or offended me; sincerely asking God to extend to them His mercy, as well as to me, and supplicating Him to accord me pardon for my faults.
I thank all the FRENCHMEN who have remained attached to my family and to me for the proofs of devotion that they have given us, for the sufferings and pains they suffered because of us.

I pray God to pour out His blessings on France, which I have always loved, even in the midst of my bitterest afflictions.

Having always considered my nephew HENRI and my niece LOUISE as my children, I give them my maternal blessing. They have had the happiness to have been raised in our holy religion, may they always remain faithful to it, may they always be worthy descendants of SAINT LOUIS! May my nephew consecrate his happy faculties to the accomplishment of the great duties which his position imposes upon him! May he never depart from the ways of moderation, justice and truth!
Share

5 comments:

cristians. said...

She'd have deserved a child...

elena maria vidal said...

Yes, she did.

May said...

Thank you, and I agree with Cristian.

It is hard for me to think of the date of her death as a *sad* anniversary. I'm sure she was reunited with her family and I cannot imagine the joy...

elena maria vidal said...

I agree, Matterhorn, and thank you for your wonderful research!

lara77 said...

How proud Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette would have been to see their daughter turn out to be the woman we know from history. I agree with the other readers; it is sad Her Royal Highness never had children. Yet, her life though at times so tragic shone with dignity, compassion and noblesse oblige.