Wednesday, November 18, 2020

A Note from Jo on Rest

 From Magnolia:

As I write this, I’m sitting at my kitchen table and looking out at the garden. I’m thinking of all that’s grown from its soil over the past year. In the spring it was filled with tulips, snapdragons, lemon balm, and lettuce. In the summer we grew dahlias, basil, and way too many tomatoes. And then in the fall it produced a bounty of zinnias, cabbage, and kale. And now it’s empty.

Yet I know these months of barrenness will not be wasted, that they won’t ever return void. I’ve learned to appreciate the beauty of the garden at rest. How essential this season is. How it readies the soil for what’s to come, and how my own moments of quiet will do the same for me. Even if just for a breath or two.

So, I’ll sit back and take a deep breath and rest. I’ll pause to think about and give thanks for all the good work that has already been done and be restored for what work might lay ahead. (Read more.)


Share

No comments: