Sunday, May 5, 2024

Maryland: Only the Beginning

Hiking along the trail. From The Trek:

Friends George and Michele joined me and my Michele for a kick-off dinner at the Rabbit Hole on the 25th. The next morning I said my goodbyes and was on my way. The first couple of miles out of Harper’s Ferry are dead flat along the C&O Canal. Lots of cyclists, algae, and basking turtles.

Leaving the canal, the trail ascends to the Weverton Cliffs. Lovely view, but a bit overwhelmed by visitors. The rest of the day was mostly ridge top walking and I spent the night tenting at a site that was over run by loud, partying campers lured by the parking lot less than a mile away. Four buddies from Indiana did give me a cold beer and an orange, much appreciated.

I was warned about rainy days. Keep your head up, roll with it, and of course rain is inevitable. So be it. I plodded along as the rain started and stopped at least three times. In the worst downpour, I noticed some Boy Scouts and parents at a group campground and they generously let me stand under their roofed picnic area. Disappointing that the mountaintop Washington Monument was socked in the clouds. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: