Tuesday, November 30, 2010

St. Joseph in the Ground

Arturo Vasquez discusses the custom of burying St. Joseph in the ground in order to sell a house, and other sundry practices. I have known nuns who placed St. Joseph on his face in times of urgent need; I have to admit that I have done the same thing. Although in my case, I could not stand to see St. Joseph prone for long, and let him back up long before the prayer was granted. I have also put a statue of Our Lady in the window when I needed good weather for something. I guess I basically have a peasant's faith. I do not see such folk customs as being superstitious as long as they are accompanied by genuine trust in Divine Providence and resignation to the holy will of God. Someone once told me that to Protestants, God is the wealthy neighbor down the street but to Catholics, God is a member of the family. This includes everyone among Jesus' immediate family and close friends. Not that the awe and reverence are lacking, as anyone knows who has ever knelt before a home altar, sharing the troubles of the moment with Our Lady or with a sympathetic-looking Infant of Prague. Our Infant of Prague has wiped away many tears and brought a surge of hope in moments of gloom. The Catholic religion is incarnational; when God became one of us He never left, as our belief in the Eucharist teaches us; when He entered the material realm He transformed it forever. Share

8 comments:

Theresa Bruno said...

Elena,

It is interesting that you posted this. My husband and I are trying to sell our home and someone suggested burying St. Joseph in our yard. I can't, however, bring myself to bury him.

Oddly enough, my eighteen month old son and I have grown quite fond of him. How silly is that?

elena maria vidal said...

Not silly at all. That's what sacred images are for, to help our devotion. I could never bury St. Joseph in the ground either. I put the statue in the window facing out and the house sold just fine! ;-)

Anonymous said...

St Joseph is also patron and protector from storms, and we're in for some storms tonight...so this is quite timely for me :)

BTW, I could never bring myself to bury dear St Joseph either! I'll have to remember that about putting him in a window, facing out, if and when that time comes.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you describe the "simplicity of a peasant's faith"!! It is that childlike attitude that Christ pointed to. If only the progressive theologians of the world had such faith, huh?

Theresa Bruno said...

Elena,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't bury him!

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks, Georgette.

Theresa, you are not alone!

Elan said...

I can't bury any saints either. I didn't know that putting him in the window would work just as well. Good to know :)

I love our faith. My family converted (my husband and my children) a few years ago and I love it. Even though as a child I heard lots of criticism of the church over the saints I always found the idea of calling on saints comforting. Like a spiritual friend who is pulling for you in times of need. I love the rituals. They make me feel closer to Him.

lara77 said...

Well the day before my eldest sister married my mother put a statue of the Blessed Mother on the windowsill to gurantee a beautiful day AND IT WORKED. When she sold her house in New York a statue of St. Joseph was put outside and people on the next block made an offer and bought her house! My mother's faith was unshakeable!