Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Letter from Maria Theresa

Here is a letter from Empress Maria Theresa to her new son-in-law the Dauphin, the future Louis XVI:
I say, then, to you, my dear dauphin, as I say to my daughter: 'Cultivate your duties toward God. Seek to cause the happiness of the people over whom you will reign (it will be too soon, come when it may). Love the king, your grandfather; be humane like him; be always accessible to the unfortunate. If you behave in this manner, it is impossible that happiness can fail to be your lot.' My daughter will love you, I am certain, because I know her. But the more that I answer to you for her affection, and for her anxiety to please you, the more earnestly do I entreat you to vow to her the most sincere attachment. (Read entire letter.)
Share

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wise mother/mother-in-law!Sage advice, indeed!

A blessed ADvent to you, EMV and to all your readers!

L&P,
Gette

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks!! Same to you!!

Gio said...

Thank you very much for the link love!