Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The First King of Great Britain

I think the ruby brooch in his hat was among the jewels sold by Henrietta Maria to finance the war.

 James I. From The Royal Mint:

The Sovereign was first struck on the orders of Henry VII in 1489, possibly as a statement of his emerging political power, and was struck by each subsequent monarch until the reign of James I. James I was the first monarch to style himself the king of Great Britain – a title he adopted in 1604 – which suggested the unification of the kingdoms a full century before the formal Acts of Union were passed in the English and Scottish parliaments. Tellingly, James I ‘rebranded’ the Sovereign as the Unite, thereby consolidating his position and displaying his intent.

James I politicised the currency across the board, using coinage as a means to hammer home the fact that he ruled a newly united kingdom. His overt use of coinage in this regard is illustrated by the Latin inscriptions that feature on his coins, which translate as ‘James by the Grace of God, King of Great Britain, France and Ireland’ and ‘I will make them one nation’, with the latter taken from the Bible.

The change to the king’s title necessitated a new royal Coat of Arms to accommodate Scotland. Apart from a brief period when Mary I was married to Philip II of Spain, the Arms of England were arranged with the lilies of France in the first and fourth quarters and lions of England in the second and third. Under James I, the lion rampant of his native land was included in a new design that also saw the addition of the harp of Ireland. (Read more.)



Share

No comments: