Sunday, July 23, 2023

Quiet Students Are Just as Capable as Loud Ones

My mother was told that I was not accepted into the National Honor Society because I was "such a quiet girl." Unbelievable. From Introvert, Dear:

Needless to say, I didn’t have the space to think, the mental and emotional capacity to focus, nor peers who saw me as anything other than someone who needed help simply speaking loud enough for people to hear. Because of the environment in Miss M.’s classroom, I continued to form unhealthy ideas about myself and my introversion: one, that I needed to “come out of my shell;” two, that my quiet and observant nature was not just a problem but a weakness; three, that my achievements and contributions were less valuable because I couldn’t communicate as readily or in the same way most people did; and four — well, I could go on about all the things I’ve had to unlearn and am still unlearning to this day, but that isn’t the main reason I share this story. After all, I’m sure other quiet students have had similar experiences. In fact, Shona Maher, another introvert, tells a story eerily similar to mine. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: