Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Academia’s Culture of Overwork

 From Nature:

The pressure to perform sucked me into a negative spiral. When I felt stressed, I doubted myself, feared saying ‘no’, overcompensated by saying ‘yes’ to extra tasks, and became more stressed. I cut back on spending time with friends and on sleep. My then-boyfriend told me I was married to my computer and cut our holiday short when he saw me typing a paper on the beach. The ticket inspector on the late-night commuter train knew me by name because I regularly overslept my stop. When I had a bout of autoimmune illness, my family was not surprised.

I see now that my choice to work hard was fuelled not only by my love for the work but also by systemic factors. Studies show that the risk of burnout is higher among young researchers (A. Boone et al. Front. Psychol. 13, 839728; 2022), as well as among female academics from marginalized groups, because there is greater pressure to perform....Through a combination of hard work and luck, I got a permanent position early in my career. But the workload has only grown heavier as I have climbed the career ladder, with increasing requests for mentoring, article and grant reviews, departmental duties, committee memberships, and voluntary contributions of time and expertise to professional societies. The costs of making a mistake are also higher: if my lower performance delays a large grant, that can jeopardize several people’s salaries. (Read more.)


Share

No comments: