Monday, September 26, 2011

P.D. James and Jane Austen

P.D. James has written a new murder mystery based upon Pride and Prejudice.
Death Comes to Pemberley, which is due out in November, is set six years after the events of Austen's tale of romance and social advancement. It sees Darcy and Elizabeth's marriage thrown into disarray when Lydia Wickham arrives unannounced and declares her husband has been murdered. James said it had been "a joy" to immerse herself in Austen's world. "I have to apologise to Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in a murder investigation," she said in a statement, "but this fusion of my two enthusiasms - for the novels of Jane Austen and for writing detective stories - has given me great pleasure which I hope will be shared by my readers." (Read entire article.)
Share

5 comments:

Stephanie A. Mann said...

Even P.D. James getting in on the Jane Austen sequel act! I think there's series of mystery novels with Jane Austen as a detective. I also think there are too many adaptations of Austen's novels already.

elena maria vidal said...

I agree, there are way too many.

May said...

The wicked Wickham getting his comeuppance, I guess? I still think this is going a bit far...

Julygirl said...

Maybe Jane Austen needs her own reality show on TV. When something 'catches on', (reality shows for example), get ready to be innundated with repeats up the wazoo. There are probably a few thousand truly creative people in the world and the rest are copy cats who copy the copy cats.

Gio said...

Another adaptation of Jane Austen's novels? It's starting to get boring, there are so many already! Still, I wish her success with her book..