Monday, October 18, 2010

"Refreshing"

The following is a glowing review of Trianon from the Martina of She Read A Book:
For me, reading Trianon was like the Heavens opening up and hearing the angels sing.  It’s the ‘be all and end all’ of all things Antoinette.  It was so refreshing to finally read a book that pushed away all the garbage (The Fersen affair, cake, etc…) and just focused on the woman.  The book highlights the important events in the lives of the King and Queen, the circumstances that made them who they were and leaves out the myths and gossip.

I have adored MA for as long as I can remember and E.M. Vidal really brings out all that was good about her, all the things I love about her and have always loved since before I even knew how her story ended.  I’ve also always been a fan of Louis XVI.  I’ve hated the way he’s been portrayed in some books and movies, but not so with Trianon.  He was noble and kind and exactly how I imagine the French king would have been.
Anyone who adores Marie Antoinette as I do, needs to read this book.  Elena Maria Vidal transports you to Versailles and into the inner circle of the people there.  She writes beautifully of love, family, friendship and heart wrenching tragedy.  I can’t think of anyone who writes about France/the Revolution/Reign of Terror/Marie and Louis better than her.  The research must have been exhausting, but it shows in the smartness of the book.

While the book pulls you in and leaves you unable to put it down, it wasn’t always easy to read.  At times it left me in tears, my heart broken.  Historical fiction just doesn’t quite fit.  It’s like a perfectly written history book.
Share

6 comments:

Julygirl said...

I enjoyed this review. I found the same to be true when I read 'Trianon'. It is a beautifully written book.

May said...

So touching! I completely agree. 'Trianon' made me feel as if I had actually met these people. (So, now, it really hurts to hear cold, dismissive comments about them).

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks to you both!

Gareth Russell said...

A wonderful, deserved and accurate review! Congratulations xx

Anonymous said...

It was such a pleasure to read this book. Re-reading my review makes me want to read it again!

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you, dear! It makes me want to read it, too!