Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Tears of the Virgin



Our Lady wept at La Salette on September 19, 1846. It was roughly two years before another wave of revolution would sweep across Europe, breaking down the structures what was left of Christendom. Once again, France was the site chosen by heaven for messages of supreme importance for the world. Taking God's name in vain and violating the Lord's day were not regarded as small matters by the Mother of Jesus. The Blessed Virgin spoke to two peasant children in the Dauphiné province in terms that they could understand, as the following shows:
"If my people do not obey, I shall be compelled to loose my Son's arm. It is so heavy I can no longer restrain it. How long have I suffered for you! If my Son is not to abandon you, I am obliged to entreat Him without ceasing. But you take no heed of that. No matter how well you pray in the future, no matter how well you act, you will never be able to make up to me what I have endured on your behalf. I have given you six days to work. The seventh I have reserved for myself, yet no one will give it to me. This is what causes the weight of my Son's arm to be so crushing. The cart drivers cannot swear without bringing in my Son's name. These are the two things which make my Son's arm so heavy."

The Lady then went on to speak about the coming punishments for these sins of Sabbath breaking and blasphemy, including crop blights and famine, at one point switching from French, which the children did not understand perfectly, to the local patois. Then she spoke to Maximin alone, imparting a secret to him which Mélanie could not hear, before turning to her to give a secret that Maximin likewise could not hear. Presently she again spoke to both saying that if the people were to be converted then the fields would produce self-sown potatoes and the stones become wheat.

She then asked a significant question: "Do you say your prayers well, my children?" They replied that they hardly prayed, and she told them they should say at least their morning and night prayers, before continuing: "Only a few rather old women go to Mass in the summer. Everyone else works every Sunday all summer long. And in the winter, when they don't know what else to do, they go to Mass only to scoff at religion. During Lent, they go to the butcher shops like dogs."

She then asked the children if they had ever seen spoiled wheat and when both replied that they had not, the Lady reminded Maximin that he had once seen it when on a visit to a nearby hamlet with his father; he then remembered that what she had said was true. Finally the Lady spoke to them in French: "Well, my children, you will make this known to all my people," before moving forward between them. She went on a few yards and then re-emphasized her message to them without turning around: "Now, my children, be sure to make this known to all my people."

Sources: Jaouen, A Grace called La Salette; Beevers, The Sun Her Mantle.

Here is an interesting site discussing the controversy surrounding the secrets of La Salette. (It is taken from a magazine article originally published in 1996 and so precedes the making public of the third part of the secret of Fatima.) Louis XVII is mentioned since one of the pretenders approached Maximin, hoping for validation.

Share

2 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

And today, just look at us and what we do!

Anonymous said...

I did not know much of La Salette - thank you for posting this. It is a shame that so many post Vat II Catholics (like me) are ignorant of apparitions, sacramentals, prayers, devotions, novenas, rituals...I guess it's up to us to get the word out and teach each other!