Friday, September 6, 2024

When American Generals Lie

 From Dr. Sebastian Gorka:

The Wall Street Journal recently published a piece by my former White House colleague, H.R. McMaster, under the title “I cannot understand Putin’s hold on Trump.” I am not surprised by the self-obsessed and plaintive tone of the article, given my experiences with the former three-star general and National Security Adviser. On his first week in office, as Strategist to the President, I was tasked with briefing the general on the President’s Congressional address that very evening. My job was to inform Gen. McMaster that the Commander-in-Chief would be speaking bluntly about the threat of radical Islam. 

When he heard this, the serving General strangely erupted over the use of that term, using a string of expletives as if he were an Obama appointee who deemed “radical Islam” a politically incorrect phrase. It was our very first ever meeting and within minutes this uniformed Army officer was screaming at me using phrases I will never forget, including: “Do you think I just fell off the f—ing applecart yesterday??!” At that point, I had spent 12 years working with the military and never been sworn at. Especially not in the West Wing.  

Even more peculiarly, later the same day, after having exploded at me over the phrase “radical Islam,” McMaster urgently requested to see me and begged I help him manage the DC rumor that he was leaking to the Daily Beast from within the White House. This general was hardly an emotionally steady hand at the tiller. 

Nor was the three-star a courageous leader of men, given that fact that later in his tenure, McMaster would repeatedly tell the President not to move our embassy or recognize Jerusalem as the eternal capital of the Jewish state, fearing the eruption of a regional war. Not only did that not happen then, we had no new wars anywhere for the full 4 years we were in the White House. (Read more.)

Share

No comments: