Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Soldier



If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

by Rupert Brooke

(Artwork St George and the Dragon by Sydney Meteyard, courtesy of Let Britannia Rise)

Share

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Poet Laureat of Britain. Killed by disease before going to Gallipoli. A bad way to go.
Marines get a bit melencoly before battle so some more educated would have printed out prayrs and whatnot
This was passed out before the invasion of Kuwait on my transport. A was "O Lord, Thou knowest how busy I must be this day. If I forget Thee, do not forget me"

Anonymous said...

I first read this poem when I was in 7th Grade and fell in love with it and England though I have never had the pleasure of visiting there....It still moves me. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

+JMJ+

This was my favourite poem when I was fourteen years old! :)

elena maria vidal said...

My mom used to read this to us! I wonder if because of his short life he was given such profound inspiration to write such beauty before he died.

Anonymous said...

I know from his pictures, he was physically beautiful.