Friday, June 22, 2007

La Vie en Rose (2007)



I haven't seen it yet, but Steve Sailer has an interesting review in today's The American Conservative of the new film about French singer Edith Piaf. From the trailer La Vie En Rose looks like it might be very good; the reviews seem to be pretty positive, for the most part. Can't wait to see the movie, even if just for the music. I love biopics about desperate and tormented artists who overcame poverty and abuse in order to become even more desperate and tormented. Poor Edith had a really horrendous childhood; she was raised in a Parisian brothel. At least the prostitutes had the decency to take her to Lisieux to the grave of the Little Flower when she was going blind; she was healed, too. Every life is such a mystery. Share

5 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

I believe she was given a State funeral. Although maybe it was Josephine Baker - maybe both?

I also thought I heard that she died with the Sacraments. I hope so.

There is something Theresian about her though, don't you think?

elena maria vidal said...

Yes,although she was the exact opposite of the Little Flower in every way, there is a spiritual kinship there. I think Therese must have adopted her; the little saint always had a special concern for women in fallen and unfortunate circumstances.

Anonymous said...

I read about the movie and look forward to seeing it. I remember Edith Piaf and hearing her recordings when I was young, but was not into the French bistro scene, and did not know anything about her past. She made the news though as a suffering artist. At the time we young people did not want to know about such things, unlike these days when everyone lusts after the latest celibrity 'screw up'.

Anonymous said...

My father daughter danse at Genevieve's wedding was an Edith Piaf song.

elena maria vidal said...

That must have been perfect!