Wednesday, June 13, 2007

If, then, you ask for miracles....



It is the feast of St Anthony the Wonderworker. In spite of the claims of Protestants and certain Catholic bloggers, it is not superstitious to ask St Anthony for help in finding lost articles. I could write a book about all the things he has found for me; things that I thought were gone forever. But it is not only in finding what is lost that St Anthony excels; he is a big brother and comforter in every kind of trial, especially in spiritual struggles. It is hard to explain to non-Catholics and "progressive" Catholics, how a saint can be a friend; I would not even know where to begin. One must have trust, a child-like faith, and a sense of the Communion of Saints. The saints are our friends, our needs are their concerns and nothing is too small for their intercession.

Don Marco has written beautifully about St Anthony's bread and lilies.

Rorate Caeli has a sermon of St. Anthony's. He was a bold preacher and did not mince words.

Here is some information about St Anthony's Chapel in Pittsburgh, one of the most amazing and overlooked shrines in the world.


Today is also the anniversary of the second apparition of Our Lady at Fatima in 1917. Our Lady told the three children that Our Lord wished to establish in the world devotion to her Immaculate Heart. She showed them her heart encircled with thorns and said: "I will never forsake you. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God." To ponder such words in the depths of contemplation is to share in the wonder of the mystery of God's mercy. Share

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were a guy, I'd have "apprenticed" myself to this saint, in humility of not apprenticing myself to the Seraphic father himself (I DO have some real humility now and then, which antihistamines do nothing for), but I'm me, so I apprenticed myself to St. Mary Magdalen... I can't imagine anything more fruitful than beng taught how to love others despite my sin and theirs, through any threat and ridicule -- and beyond separation. There's nothing sweeter than being a holy fool.

St. Anthony is someone I have called on for decades to help me "find" resolution/answer to so many things --via his holy intercession. I have also asked his help in finding lost items, but it always turns into, "I should be asking for something far more important, for others." And I always ask the saints to ask Mary to present it, because I am all but sure they love to have a reason to approach Her, knowing that she loves having another reason to breathe out, "Jesus..."

(Yes, child-like here, too, and I, too, make no apologies for that.)

THANK YOU for this reminder of St. A's special day, and also for the defense of the Brown Scapular the other day.

elena maria vidal said...

You are welcome, Lily. Thank YOU!

Anonymous said...

He was a Legend in his own time. I visited his Shrine in Italy. There are many many stories about him such as appearing in two places at once, walking across rivers, etc. A truly beloved Saint.