Friday, November 11, 2022

Healing Intergenerational Trauma with the Holy Souls

 From Our Sunday Visitor:

I’m trying to regain my emotional footing after yet another temper flare. I just finished yelling at my youngest about something that definitely didn’t merit as much rage as I let fly. Now that she has stomped off to get some distance from me — and I can’t say that I blame her — I lean my hands against the cold stone of our kitchen counter and try to breathe. In the tightly wound breaths that follow, I remind myself to pray, to ask God to give me the courage to apologize in ways that I was not taught in my own family of origin for the poor self-control that I most certainly learned in said family.

Of course, my parents learned their anger from their parents, who learned them from their parents, who learned them from theirs, as far back as Eden. That’s the nature of intergenerational trauma. We sin, and in sinning, we teach the next generation of sinners how to destroy relationships with pride, wrath, envy and all the rest.

At this point, I think of all the souls of my ancestors, whose legacy has no small part in creating the shortcomings of my present-day relational habits. How many of those progenitors must be in purgatory, keeping so still while God heals them of their earthly failings with beatifying fire?

Leaning further into the counter, I whisper wryly to the soul of any ancestor in a position to hear me clarify my demand. “You people better pray for me. I’m here because of you.”

That thought gives me a bit of strange comfort. I know that it’s not entirely clear whether or not the souls in purgatory can pray for us. We know they can’t pray for themselves, because purgatory is that final chance to become selfless, to surrender all self-reliance. We know that, one day, the Holy Souls will be fully united with our God who is love and mercy, and then they will be able to pray for us. We also know that God is outside time, so even if my ancestors can’t pray for me in the time that I call “now,” one day, they will be entirely free to carry my intentions in their hands to the throne of God, and it will be as if it were my now. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: