Thursday, March 18, 2021

Growing Up and Growing Old

 From Seton Magazine:

I know it sounds bizarre, but I actually miss buying diapers and baby food. I wistfully pass the baby section of the supermarket, and get a lump in my throat as I realize that I don’t need anything from there any longer. It’s a different stage of my life now, and I’m sure it has many wonders to come, but I sorely miss the baby-years already.

Happily, I believe that this epoch of my life made me a better man. Because as I look back, it is clearer to me what impact these days had on my soul.

It’s ironic that, as a father, you know that it is your job to protect your children, but I was always struck with the sense that it was they who were protecting me. These little cherubic beings, in all their baptismal innocence, were always a great comfort to me. I often found that the cure from coming home from a fallen, sad, and restless world, was simply to hold these little ones close to my heart. In my experience, there are few things more calming than to simply listen to a baby breathe. Innocence has a harmony, and that is what it sounds like. When they are about two months old, for a few weeks, babies inadvertently smile as they drift off to sleep. To me, that smile spelled the happiness and quiet tranquility of innocence. (Read more.)


Share

No comments: