Saturday, October 20, 2007

Handbags

Women can't live without them. (Via Lew Rockwell) To quote:

The very idea of my needing a handbag is puzzling. How is it that men, of whom I am the equal in all other respects, seem to be well served by their back pockets or (if they’re European) sleek little manpurses? Why can’t I manage as well? All I have to carry is lipstick, eyeliner, pressed powder, reading glasses, sunglasses, small perfume spray, sunscreen, Kleenex, small brush, tic tacs, chocolate bar, small sewing kit, liquid soap, wash-n-drys, address book, key chain (with nine keys, three of which I have no idea what they open), and a wallet (containing charge cards, check book, pictures of children, membership cards, and cards that are stamped for one cup of coffee at a shop I’ll never visit again). When my children were small, I also carried crayons and coloring books, fruit snacks, and a change of underpants.
Share

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how true! After becoming a mother, not only do the size and contents of your purse change, but the design, too. I now have to buy sturdy, washable purses or totes that have fully zipped tops or everything can come flying out.

This article is a good reminder to me to put more items in the diaper bag and not to use my purse as a 'dumping ground'. It looks so frumpy when women's purses are dirty, bulging or overflowing.

We need to think streamlined and sleek, a la Grace Kelly. :)

elena maria vidal said...

I just bought a larger handbag-- the old one was so full that closing it became difficult.

Anonymous said...

I have wondered the same thing. My Mother always carried a change of underwear in her bag. She could have been stranded on a desert island and made out o.k. with all the things she carried in her bag. There may have been an inflatable raft in there. As a little girl it amazed me.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

G.K. Chesterton once mused that if he ever wrote about the things in his pockets, he would end up with an epic. I see the same is true for women and their handbags! =P