Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Losing Friends

When a friendship dies it can be one of the most difficult things in the world. On the other hand, lifelong, enduring friendships have been one of my greatest consolations. According to the Wall Street Journal:

I know, it's a terrible question. But think about it: Some of the worst breakups in our lives are not with romantic partners. They are with friends—the people with whom we often share our deepest thoughts. Friends provide guidance, encouragement, laughter and a refuge. Losing a good friend can be one of the saddest experiences in life.

And yet, many friendships just don't last. Some simply fizzle out, victims of routine life events such as moves, job changes, divorce or a divergence of interests.

Share

3 comments:

Julygirl said...

When one trusts someone above all others, even more than a spouse, a betrayal can result in quite a lot of anguish. Healing comes when one acknowledges that they are worthwhile and the other party has forfeited the pleasure of their company, and are, in the end, the biggest loser.

Alexandra said...

I read this article earlier in the week as well, and I almost posted it. I found it comforting(validating) in a way...we all go through this.

Anabel said...

Aaww, this article touched my heart. I lost a friend recently in a very bad way. It hurts so bad in my heart....