Friday, January 5, 2024

How Swearing Became Twee

I have always hated cursing and foul language. From Spiked:

When I was a girl, I thought swearing was big and clever. Now I’m an old lady, I find it weedy and dumb. It’s gone from being an outrageous way to bait the establishment – as it was when American comic Lenny Bruce got jailed for it in the 1960s – to being a telltale sign of someone who has nothing to say yet craves attention.

The swearers I really hate are the cussing conformists. These are those wealthy establishment entertainers, all of whom hold the same views on everything from Palestine to lady penises to the folly of Brexit, who cuss a blue streak at the drop of a hat. It started when Hugh Grant said ‘Fuck’ repeatedly at the start of Four Weddings and a Funeral in 1994 and has ended up embodied by the ghastly Miriam Margolyes, who believes herself to be ‘outrageous’ for ‘saying the unsayable’, despite holding the same views as all other actors. Hearing well-born thespians pepper their language with four-letter words to add a frisson to their dreary personas makes me want to disown swearing completely and stick to the odd ‘blazes’ or ‘Ruddy Nora!’ instead.

My newly minted loathing of what my sainted mum called ‘language’ was crystallised recently when I read that last year the UK Advertising Standards Authority rejected two complaints about an advertisement for Dawn French’s comedy show, Dawn French is a Huge Twat. The ASA reasoned that ‘the use of the word would be understood by readers to be self-deprecating and tongue-in-cheek, and it was not, for example, used in a sexual context’. (Read more.)


Share

No comments: