Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Busyness and Christian Living

 From The Catholic Thing:

Let’s first look at our list of quotidian things to do: Rise, tidy, prepare what we need for the day (lunch, briefings, tools, homework), go to work or school, return home to child and adult activities that require shuttling around, making dinner, eating, cleaning up, paying bills, perhaps exercise or watching television, catching up on the news and websites we follow, checking emails, sending texts, checking in with family and friends, preparing what is necessary for the next day, sleep. Then rise the next day and repeat.

Within this list lies a hierarchy of tasks: some things are more important than others. Importance follows from the value we put on the item. Exercise, for example, may be a necessity for one person, an occasional pleasantry for a second, or completely irrelevant for a third. Eating is a necessity, but how one eats, whether at table with one’s family or on the go to save time, reflects the importance we assign to other tasks and obligations.

“I’m too busy for God,” then, really means that God – and we can include Mass and prayer here – is not important enough for me: I value these other worldly things more than Him.

If God really mattered to me, the way work and health and family do, I would find time to spend with Him, no matter how difficult it may be to do so. In fact, where I place God and prayer time on my daily “to do” list plainly indicates how vibrant – or not – my faith is.

When it comes to ranking our priorities, Jesus did not mince words: He must be at the top of the list:

  • “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)
  • “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” (Matt 19:21)
  • “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6)

(Read more.)


Share

No comments: