Sunday, March 20, 2022

British Magic in Hollywood

 

From Tatler:

She was unsure and romance took a back seat. But their friendship continued to flourish and Andrews was inspired by his perspective. ‘I realised I didn’t have his “eyes” - though once he pointed it out, it became obvious. It made me think, “My God, I never look enough” and, in the years since, I’ve tried very hard to look - and look again,’ Andrews wrote in her first autobiography Home. Theirs was a bond compounded by the arts and Walton finally secured a first date to see the film The Greatest Show on Earth in London. ‘In the cinema Tony held my hand, but I was stiff and withdrawn, for I felt that he was becoming interested in a deeper relationship which I wasn’t ready for,’ Andrews wrote. But he was patient. And there was more waiting ahead: an obligatory two year period of National Service in Canada pulled Walton and Andrews oceans apart. Before leaving, he presented her with a painting of an island, which he titled Ours.

Theirs was a fiercely supportive alliance. In 1956, when Andrews was starring in her breakthrough role as Eliza alongside Rex Harrison in the Broadway smash hit My Fair Lady, she and Tony exchanged dictabelts on a daily basis — a kind of early voice note. ‘We would record our voices onto a plastic roll inside a compact little machine known as a Dictaphone and send each other the roll in an envelope on an almost daily basis,’ she wrote. ‘He remembers that the [opening night] recording was euphoric.’ By this point, his National Service long complete, he had returned to London and studied for a career in design, setting himself on a path that was to realign with Andrews' soaring star. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: