Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Building a Habit of Curiosity

 From LitHub:

A project may be about the future, but it can also help you look back on familiar things from a new perspective. I’ve always been charmed by Walter Benjamin’s essay on book collecting, “Unpacking My Library,” but it didn’t feel personal until recently. I don’t have first-editions or association copies on my shelf, but the constellation of wood dust and paper scraps is the same in my library as in his. Benjamin admits that through his books, the book collector “proves to be speaking only about himself.” Why did these old books speak to me now, in the spring of 2021, when they’ve been accessible to me my whole life? Last year when the world shut down, tangible things seemed to evaporate in a cloud of hand sanitizer. I was separated from my family by an impassable distance. I longed for connection to something real, something that had endured. The wear on these books, their elegant ownership signatures, the scraps of paper stuck between their pages all pulsed with life. I longed to reanimate their history—and my own. The project reveals you to yourself. (Read more.)
Share

No comments: