Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Randian Childhood

A young woman describes how objectivism tore her family apart, saying:
Dad wasn't always a Rand zealot. He was raised in a Catholic family and went to church every week. After he and my mother got married in 1982, they shopped around for a church. He was looking for something to live by, but he couldn't find it in traditional organized religion.

Then he discovered objectivism. I don't know exactly why he sparked to Rand. He claimed the philosophy appealed to him because it's based solely on logic. It also conveniently quenched his lawyer's thirst to always be right. It's not uncommon for people to seek out belief systems, whether political or spiritual, that make them feel good about how they already live their lives. Ultimately, I suspect Dad was drawn to objectivism because, unlike so many altruistic faiths, it made him feel good about being selfish.
 (Via The Marriage Debate) Share

4 comments:

MadMonarchist said...

As the saying goes, "Who's the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?" I don't think any man-made philosophy or school of thought or political theory has all the answers and I am always skeptical of those who think one does. Ayn Rand was also (we should keep in mind) reacting against the extreme collectivism of the Soviet Union. A look at her own life is also informative in understanding that objectivism might just not be the key to personal happiness. However, I agree with some (probably alot) of what she advocated concerning government and economics. I also thought the "Atlas Shrugged" movie was good (basically dealing with the dangers of crony capitalism) and I take the line of the Acton Institute: see the film, skip the book.

elena maria vidal said...

I feel the same way about THE FOUNTAINHEAD.

Dymphna said...

I'm not sure if her father was so much as a Randian as a miserable jerk who used Rand as his excuse for acting like a jerk.

elena maria vidal said...

Great point, D.