Friday, November 14, 2008

Marie-Antoinette's Farewell to her Daughter

Often, when closing her eyes, she vividly saw her mother's face as at the moment when the guards had come to take the Queen to the Conciergerie. Then she would see the alabaster skin, the large, blue eyes blood-shot from weeping, the face framed by the black mourning veil.
"Do not let this crush you," Maman had said. "You have faith. It will sustain you."
~from Madame Royale by Elena Maria Vidal, Chapter 1, "The Emigrants"
Share

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine.

In Toledo, Spain, I was told that during the Civil War a son of an officer was captured. An ear severed from this young man was sent to his father followed by a message that promised to execute the son if Dad did not turn over the city. The officer/ father spoke by phone with his son and said. "I cannot turn this city over to slaughter. My Son, commend your soul to God and know that I love you."

elena maria vidal said...

I can't imagine, either.

What an amazing story. Faith is everything.

May said...

I have just been encouraging the Mad Monarchist to do a 'Consort Profile' on Marie-Therese. Too many people seem to think only of Marie-Antoinette and forget about her daughter.