Thursday, May 13, 2010

The First Queen of the Belgians


Louise d'Orléans, consort of Leopold I.
The first Queen of the Belgians, Louise d'Orléans, consort of Leopold I, is a figure I have long found fascinating and sympathetic. Since she was generally shy and retiring, died young, and was soon relegated to a vague, pious memory, she has been called la reine oubliée, the "Forgotten Queen." She certainly deserves to be remembered, though! Here are some facts about this lady; I hope they will show why she is intriguing and appealing...
Share

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I had never heard of her. The picture is just lovely!

Julygirl said...

I remember some of the principles from your book, "Madame Royale".

May said...

Thank you for the link!

I find it interesting that she came from a family with such a problematic background and bad reputation, yet was such a good and virtuous, and, ultimately, I think, saintly person. It goes to show that grace abounds everywhere.

May said...

Sorry to comment twice on this, but I am sure that the sacrifices of people like Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette and Madame Royale must have won great graces for their relatives on this side of the family, too, although some seem to see them as ineluctably opposed. Not only Louise, but her sister Marie and her younger brother, the Duc de Nemours, seem to have become very holy. And even their father, the radical Louis-Philippe, in the end, accepted the last rites on the urging of his pious wife and died at peace with the Church (much to the consolation of Louise).

Leah Marie Brown said...

I've never seen this portrait. Thanks for posting it.