Sunday, March 19, 2017

Minimalist Styles for Spring

From Apt. 34:
The formula for minimal style is fairly straight forward. Step one: pick a monochromatic color palette and stick with it. White is my favorite pretty much all year round, but then comes camel, black, gray and navy. Right now I’m actually into a light putty, even so far as going with a blush piece or two, for spring. And a good striped shirt is a nice change from the classic white button down, but can still function as a neutral.

Denim is my closet’s foundation, but I’m ready to say see ya to all the skin tight and overly-distressed jeans that have been the look du jour. Wide legs are having their day. Extra long and high waisted or cropped at the ankle, either way, they look stellar. And kick that stretchy denim to the curb. Raw denim, though a bit more finicky, is really denim at its best. You just need a good fit in the waist and butt (cuz they will stretch out) but that crisp straight leg is a good look on anyone.

Since becoming a mom I’ve (sadly) kicked virtually all of my heels to the curb. My shoe wardrobe now consists of the following; a good slip-on sneaker, a loafer, an ankle boot and a sandal. Done.
And even though they’re called basics, minimal pieces can be anything but. If you invest in high quality fabrics – think cashmere, Japanese linen, good chunky knits, supple leathers – the craftsmanship is going to stand out in the fast-fashion crowd. And the details don’t hve to be boring.

I’m obsessed with the oversized cuff of Anna Quan’s shirts. Levi’s and Citizens of Humanity are doing some very cool vintage denim. High waists, good tailoring or dramatically oversized pieces keep your look feeling fresh.

So as spring gets in full swing, attack that closet. Set aside the 5-10 things you actually wear and then gather everything else in a giant pile. Do you see yourself wearing anything in that pile in the next six months? If not, out it goes. Consign the good stuff and donate the rest. Then you can fill in any gaps with the aforementioned minimal basics. Trust me, you’ll feel ten times lighter and ten times happier every time you get dressed. (Read more.)
Share

4 comments:

The North Coast said...

Minimalist fashion is beautiful and understated, but I take exception to the super-high stiletto heels in the photo. Those heels look like they measure 5" high from the back. Shoes like these cause injury to your feet, and daily wear for years on end is downright crippling.

Please, fashionistas, bring back the kitten heel and the beautiful "Louis" heel.

elena maria vidal said...

I agree! Plus they get stuck in the cracks in the sidewalks.....

The North Coast said...

Men think we women are just being "superstitious" when we carefully step over sidewalk cracks, when we are doing it for totally rational reasons, like saving the heels from being marred, and avoiding falling on our faces.

I told one boyfriend that I'd wear the skinny-strapped sandals with 4 1/2" back-breaker heels if he carried me when I was wearing them. That shut him up.

elena maria vidal said...

Haha! But seriously, I had a friend whose spike heel boot became caught between the tiles in a restaurant, right at the entrance. It was quite a scene. I think the heels are pretty but completely impractical.