Friday, July 8, 2011

A Quick Trip to New York

Last week I made a day trip to New York by train so I could go to my friend Leslie Carroll's party. The party was held at the Irene Goodman Literary Agency where Leslie is represented. I love train travel; it is a great way to catch up with reading. The train was filled with families going on vacation, families with small children. They were loud but helped to create a festive atmosphere. I must say that I did not recognize New York at first when I saw it from a distance. What city is that? I wondered. The absence of the World Trade Center towers really changes the skyline. It gave me a eerie chill.

At the Pennsylvania Station there were soldiers with machine guns and police everywhere. I have to begrudgingly admit it that made me feel safer, much safer than I used to feel in New York back in the 1980's. Manhattan was as crowded as ever and seemed more run down than I remember. But there were oodles of young people who add a freshness and a vibrancy to the scene. Everyone I encountered was very friendly, but then I was only there for a few hours.

I took a taxi to the agency and was delighted to meet Leslie Carroll in person. She is the author of some non-fiction works which I have reviewed. I also met Leslie's friend Juliet Grey who is writing a three volume epic saga about Marie-Antoinette. We had a lively discussion about the Queen and then began to partake of the refreshments, which were varied and generous. I enjoyed chatting with Miss Goodman's staff, all of whom were poised and intelligent. I had so much fun talking about historical figures with authors Lauren Willig and Isobel Carr and we agreed that Someone needs to write a novel about Henrietta Maria. My friend Christine Trent was also there with her wonderful husband, John. John and Christine helped me to find my way back to the train station in plenty of time to catch my train. We had a lovely conversation and my only regret is that my day in New York was too short. Share

5 comments:

Dymphna said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I haven't been to NYC in three years. I'm thinking of taking either the train or the Bolt bus up for an overnight stay.

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks, Dymphna honey!

Julygirl said...

How lovely! Glad you were safe!

Allison said...

In the future, I think you need to bring a friend along with you to photograph these lovely and special occasions....

;)

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you, Julygirl!

Allison, next time you can come with me! I think I drove past your house; I could have picked you up!