Friday, May 28, 2010

Sequel?

People have been asking for a sequel to The Night's Dark Shade. I really had not planned on writing one. After the new edition of Madame Royale is published this summer, I plan to finish my book about Irish settlers in Canada. Then I am going to write a novel about the Japanese occupation of the Philippines during World War II. After that I was going to write about Bonnie Prince Charlie and the '45. And at some point, I want to do a novel about the Comte d'Artois and his fatal love affair with Madame de Polastron.

However, if there continues to be a demand for a sequel to The Night's Dark Shade then I might consider it. I would send Lady Raphaëlle and her husband on crusade to the Holy Land with King St. Louis and Queen Marguerite. Raphaëlle could get captured by the Moors and see what life is like inside a harem. Someone will rescue her eventually but in the meantime she will rely upon her wits to survive. There will be several other adventures as well. It will be a much longer book.

It would be so much fun to explore something as controversial as the crusades, especially since film makers are intent upon showing them in a totally negative light. It would be exciting to portray St. Louis in his role as crusader, which was a valiant effort but an utter failure. I must say, I am tempted.... Share

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a very exciting story! The Moors and the Crusades are all topics very hot these days. I vote that you write this one next ;)

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks, Gette, I am seriously thinking about it....

Michelle Therese said...

I would deffinately read a sequel to "The Night's Dark Shade." That was a great book!

What is this new edition of Madame Royal?

I love your future book ideas: such a diversity!

Julygirl said...

The old Turner Classic Movies from when I was younger, many starring Robert Taylor and the like, show the Crusades in a positive light, but that was then and this is now. Some topics never get old. The Crusades being one. I also feel people do not really 'get' the essence of the Crusades and the hardships involved, just the romance and excitement. I think they need your treatment such as you gave the French Revolution in "Trianon".

May said...

All these ideas sound wonderful. I am sure they would make for very touching and inspiring novels. But poor Raphaelle, if she has to go from the Cathars to the Moors!

Anonymous said...

Matterhorn, lol, good point. But I bet Raphaelle would have learned a thing or two from her encounter with the Cathars that she can apply to the Moors!

elena maria vidal said...

Thanks, Coffee, the new edition of Madame Royale will be in paperback with some corrections of some minor errors.

Thanks for your encouragement, Matterhorn.