Thursday, April 28, 2022

Checking Bags vs Carry On

On our last trip to London, we decided to travel without luggage, and so had carry-on only.  It was very convenient when making an international flight and jumping in and out of taxi cabs, etc. However, we had little room in bags for gifts or souvenirs. From Medium:

There was a recent article on Defector where two of their writers debated the merits of each option. I read the article and commented on Twitter that I had mixed feelings about this decision. I have a flight to Nashville coming in June. I will have to make this decision. Here are the pros and cons of each. I am flying Southwest, so I can check one bag free. The decision changes when there is a fee.

Checking Bags

Pros:
  • You don’t have to limit your packing to make it fit in a carry-on eligible bag.
  • You don’t have to worry about making sure all of your shampoos and such are in a separate clear bag and the right size.
  • The security line is much easier when I am only carrying my phone and the book I plan to read.
  • Boarding is easier when you don’t have to look for overhead space for your bag.
  • You avoid being the annoying person who holds up the boarding process looking for space.
  • If you have a layover you have less stuff to worry about lugging from gate to gate.
Cons:
  • You have to deal with possible lines to check your luggage.
  • You have to deal with baggage claim at the end of the trip.
  • There is the possibility of lost luggage.
  • You might leave your ride waiting while you wait for your luggage.

(Read more.)

Share

No comments: