Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Poem for Richard III

Coat of Arms of Richard III

Richard III with his wife Anne Neville and their son Edward

Aneurin Barnard as Richard in The White Queen

The poet laureate’s eulogy, written for Richard III’s re-interment at Leicester Cathedral on March 26, 2015, read by Benedict Cumberbatch. Via The Guardian.

Richard
by Carol Ann Duffy
My bones, scripted in light, upon cold soil,
a human braille. My skull, scarred by a crown,
emptied of history. Describe my soul
as incense, votive, vanishing; your own
the same. Grant me the carving of my name.

These relics, bless. Imagine you re-tie
a broken string and on it thread a cross,
the symbol severed from me when I died.
The end of time – an unknown, unfelt loss –
unless the Resurrection of the Dead …

or I once dreamed of this, your future breath
in prayer for me, lost long, forever found;
or sensed you from the backstage of my death,
as kings glimpse shadows on a battleground.
Coffin of Richard III at Leicester Cathedral

Posthumous Portrait of Richard III
Share

No comments: