Friday, November 25, 2011

Lessons from an Epic Marriage

How some people stay together.
I have been exposed in my adult life to just a few epic marriages. One of them is that of Evelyn and Leonard Lauder. The Lauders had been married for 52 years when Mrs. Lauder died Nov. 12 at the age of 75 of complications from nongenetic ovarian cancer. I met Mr. and Mrs. Lauder in the winter of 2010 when I was asked by WSJ. Magazine to interview them for a feature story about what it's like to both live and work together, as they did for Estée Lauder, the cosmetic giant founded by Mr. Lauder's mother in 1946. The interview took place at their Fifth Avenue apartment in Manhattan. It is the fanciest home I have ever been in. Clearly, the Lauders enjoy significant wealth, and there can be no doubt that not having to contend with money concerns separates their relationship from most of ours. But what left a far deeper and immediate impression upon me was something that is so elusive and that can't be bought: lasting chemistry.
Mr. Lauder sat down with me first. When Mrs. Lauder walked into the den in a pink boat-neck dress, he stopped what he was saying to me, turned to his wife and said, "Don't you look pretty." (Read entire article.)
Share

1 comment:

Julygirl said...

Often significant wealth itself can cause relationship problems.

Inspiring to read about...