Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Epiphany


Arise, be enlightened, O Jerusalem: for thy light us come....And the gentiles shall walk in thy light, and kings in the brightness of thy rising....All they from Saba shall come, bringing gold and frankincense, and showing forth praise to the Lord. (Isaias 60, 1-6)
Here is a quote on the Epiphany from Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen's Divine Intimacy:
A star often appears in the heaven of our souls; it is the inspiration from God, clear and intimate, urging us to greater generosity and calling us to a life of closer union with Him. Like the Magi, we too must always follow our star with faith, promptness and selfless generosity. If we allow it to guide us, it will certainly lead us to God; it will bring us to the One whom we are seeking.

The Magi did not give up their quest, although the star- at one point- disappeared from their sight. We should follow their example and their perseverance, even when we are in interior darkness. This is a trial of faith which is overcome only by the exercise of pure, naked faith. I know that He wills it, I know that God is calling, and this suffices for me:
Scio cui credidi et certus sum (2 Timothy 1:12); I know whom I have believed. No matter what happens, I shall trust Him. (Divine Intimacy, pp. 122-123)

Abbot Gueranger discusses the mystery of the Magi, HERE.


(Artwork:
Journey of the Magi, 1902 by James Tissot) Share

6 comments:

Leah Marie Brown said...

Dear Elena,

It has been a few years since we corresponded. I am delighted to have found your blog and caught up on your many musings. I would love it if you would visit my blog and then email me, as I have a question for you.

All the best,

Leah

http://leahmariebrown.blogspot.com/

elena maria vidal said...

Thank you, Leah, you'll be hearing from me!

May said...

Happy Epiphany!

Anonymous said...

Happy Epiphany season, EMV!

Beth and I spent the twelfth night in time square and taking in a play (Wicked is so great--based on the Wizard of Oz). But the highlight was the Mass at St Patrick's on the 6th, our birthday. (I prayed for you and all of your intentions there in Mass and at Fulton Sheen's tomb.)

Can you believe we are 50 already? ughh!! LOL :-P

elena maria vidal said...

A glorious Epiphany season to you, Matterhorn!

Sounds like a wonderful time, Gette. Happy Birthday! 50!!! I would never believe it.

Elizabeth said...

Happy Epiphany! Thank you for sharing that beautiful passage from "Divine Intimacy", as well as the always profound Gueranger. I love the Epiphany!