Saturday, June 21, 2014

Seeing Ourselves as Objects

From Barefoot and Pregnant:
I’ve told my husband point-blank that I’d give up my education, my talent for writing, anything and everything that I value about myself, for a good body. At the age of 30, with a solid marriage and four kids, I still measure my worth in terms of sex appeal.The worst part is that even though I know, intellectually, that this is exceedingly unhealthy and flat-out wrong, I can’t make myself stop believing that looks are where a woman’s worth really lies. Or at least my worth. (Read more.)
Share

2 comments:

Dymphna said...

I stopped reading that particular blog because I find it depressing.

julygirl said...

I used to get my share of ogling and wolf whistles, but there is nothing like shrinking with age, walking like everything hurts, as well as all the other things that life provides to beat one down, to assist in creating acceptance and humility and to dispel vanity.