Friday, July 29, 2011

Scary Movies

Why some children should not see them. A discussion from Esther in Hawaii.
When my son was little we watched The Picture of Dorian Grey as a family. It was the old black and white movie. My husband and I thought he would like it. We completely forgot about the colorized scene in the movie. That one scene terrorized our poor son so badly that he had nightmares for a long time. He is now twenty and he still cannot bring himself to watch that movie.

That movie was tame compared to some recent horror movies.

As kids, my husband and I had been big fans of old black and white movies, especially film noir and horror movies. We stupidly forgot how impressionable a young child is.

I do remember a traumatic experience of my own. When I was 12 years old, my aunt took my cousin and me to watch Mark of the Devil.  It was the most violent, scary movie I had ever experience in my sheltered life!  I do not think my aunt knew what it was going to be about.  We left after maybe 1/2 hour but that movie images stayed with me for a long time too.  (Read entire post.)
Share

2 comments:

Julygirl said...

I read an article a while back regarding the 50th anniversary of the showing of the Disney film Snow White at Radio City Music Hall in New York. It mentioned that some of the theater seats had been 'wet' on by children who had been frightened by the film......that was Snow White.... Imagine what is out there these days.

EC Gefroh said...

Mahalo Elena!

Julygirl, sometimes adults forget to see things through a child's eyes.